[AusNOG] RouterBoard

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Mon Mar 10 14:04:52 EST 2014

Hi

Yeah I have read a bit about the single core issues on the CCR, the last time I looked because of this I saw 3 cpu's floating around 30-60% non-maxed

I started this by looking at VM routers, but I couldn't get pas the 1Gb/s nic. There is Brocades vyatta, but its just way to expensive compared to routeros

My constraints are more along the lines of, I have core switching already, I wanted to add some core routing.
I am happy with the CCR on $$ on CLI
I am not so happy about the current performance, be that limited to my testing via iperf...  I am nearly ready to live with that, on the presumption I can get 8+Gbs with multi stream tcp.

My current risk is support, especially as I have had a hard time working through this CCR performance issue.  I don't want to roll out 2 of these at each DC and then run into a bug, where the only solution is to throw it away.  I can duplicate about all the functionality of routeros on linux apart from BGP and OSPF. And I am guessing if I looked really hard and spent some time I could get that working as well.

So taking into account their low $$ I can also live with minimal support if I have another hardware solution to match up with it on a similar $$ level.  If they can talk iBGP, OSPF and VRRP, then I am just about set.  :)

So I thought I would dig into the knowledge pool that is AUSNOG and find out what other devices like RouterOS are being used..

Alex