[AusNOG] OOB SMS / Voice alerts to mobile phone

Rhys Hanrahan rhys at nexusone.com.au
Wed Jun 25 16:33:35 EST 2014

Hi Shane,

We currently use SMS2Email functionality for this... (for example, SMS Global provide this: https://www.smsglobal.com/services/?_ga=1.125478410.1469842697.1403677673#emailsms)

It's straight forward to setup in Nagios as you're basically just adding another contact into the config, with an email address that will send the SMS to a given number. You would probably also want to define a custom notification command, so that the SMSs are formatted correctly.

As for out of band monitoring, we simply run a Nagios instance outside of our network for this... Though I know there are solutions around that could allow you to send SMS notifications via cellular access etc... Not sure how reliable that would be, though.

Thanks,

Rhys Hanrahan
Chief Information Officer
Nexus One Pty Ltd