[AusNOG] AAPT / TPG Merge NWB

Shane Short shane at short.id.au
Fri Jun 6 00:59:44 EST 2014

Competition has been our apparent saviour for the last mile for the last
decade (or when the local-loop was deregulated, whichever was first),
but it's never come. This whole notion of "leave it up to the Telco's,
they'll compete and everyone wins" is complete bullshit. Telco's
cherry-pick last mile installations that make sense to them-- ignoring
everybody else; which amusingly, is exactly where we are now.

I'm not saying a regulated incumbent last mile provider isn't without
it's flaws, but in my mind it's the best option we've got.

-Shane