[AusNOG] 10Gb Switching and HP COMOS5 vs 7

Joe Wooller joe at waia.asn.au
Tue Jun 3 17:58:22 EST 2014

Hi Skeeve,

I have dealt with Extreme Support and in my experience they have been better than both Cisco and Juniper. :)

On 3 Jun 2014, at 3:32 pm, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> Don't like them, don't think their support is very good... refurb is rare, stock is hard to get, skills are rare, blah blah.
>
> It's not just Extreme, it is any fringe vendor.  For the most part I stay away from anyone that doesn't have:
>
> - Recognised brand (in Enterprise, Service Provider and Government)
They may not have massive exposure in AU, but they seem to be doing ok in EU.

> - Certification framework with good education
They have this. Though I haven’t looked into it at length;
http://www.extremenetworks.com/education/certifications/

> - Lots of online support and communities
I do admit that they do lack in online community is some what lacking, however their TAC has been very quick to answer/assist with any questions/concerns I have had.
https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme

> - Lot of skilled and experienced engineers in the market
I also know a bunch of people who are rather proficient with all things Extreme.

> - Local presence with good 24/7 TAC and pre-sales engineers
They have this. (Guys in Melbourne and Sydney for pre-sales also).

> - SmartNet/J-Care equivalent with 8x5xNBD and 24x7x2-4 response - with all capital cities covered
They have this too.

> - Refurb market
Not so much. :/

> - A channel approach is preferable
I believe they have this.

> - Strong history
Can’t comment but I know some rather big networks using them and they seem very happy.

> - Respected by a significant part of the network engineer community
Can’t comment.

> - Good spread of models, options, features
They have this.

> - Standard compliant for most common protocols
> and I am sure others….
They have this.

> There would have to be a massive compelling reason for me to recommend or voluntarily deploy something which doesn't have most of those.

Just curious have you bothered talking shop with say Extreme, Arista, or others?

Just my 2c

Joe