[AusNOG] 1Tb/s native ipv6 traffic on comcast

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Sat Jul 26 01:15:52 EST 2014

On 2014-07-25 16:59, Joshua D'Alton wrote:
> Ah so believable it is 1Tbit on Comcast network then, not actually
> "internet ipv6", but I suppose it is a step!

SixXS has close to 42k users, and we average 1 Gigabit, and peak to
close to 2 Gigabit: https://www.sixxs.net/misc/traffic/

Comcast has 30 Million subscribers[1], thus 1 Tbit is not soo much for them.

As 1 Tbit is "only" 1024 (depending on what kind of T one uses) times
more, it is not so surprising... 42k * 1024 =~ 40 Million, thus makes
sense... especially when realizing that US has Netflix, while most of
the SixXS users are in Germany (30%) and thus still have to wait till
September or so... hence, yes I believe that number.

The fun thing is, that it actually confirms that SixXS has proper
traffic levels for the amount of users it has, and that for a small
hobbyproject... not bad eh ;)

Btw, for me what is even cooler though is that that 1Gbit+ of traffic is
going through code I made (sixxsd) and for likely 75% of the tunnels
(20k AYIYA + 12k heartbeat) it is using also code on the client side
that is mine...

Greets,
 Jeroen

[1]
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/the-comcast-time-warner-deal-by-the-numbers/
google(how many subscribers does comcast have)