[AusNOG] Netflix in AU, break up Go4, or TPG peering breakup?

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Jul 23 09:29:52 EST 2014

On 23/07/2014 7:53 AM, Mark ZZZ Smith wrote:

> 'crappy' to me means unreliable. ADSL in most cases is very reliable, and when it isn't, it has commonly been fixed. The main reason that it isn't as reliable as it could be is because current _regulations_ that Telstra have to comply with say that the local loop only has to support reliable voice services. If regulations were changed such that the local loop had to support reliable ADSL services with a certain minimum signal-to-noise ratio, then ADSL as a whole would become even more reliable than it is today

....by restricting the distance at which service qualification would allow ADSL to be
deployed, so those within (say) 3 km of the exchange would get reliable ADSL with good
noise margin, and those beyond the distance would not be allowed to have a low
noise-margin and unreliable service that drops out occasionally, so they would have
access to nothing at all (except possibly cellular). That what we used to have when
Telstra's ADSL1 was limited to 1.5Mbps and 3.7km deployment distance, for this very
reason - and the industry lobbied hard to remove the distance (noise margin)  limit.

Be careful what you wish for - unintended consequences and all that jazz.

> Because millions of people are happy with it, as is to doing the job they want for the money they're willing to pay. Paying for something and continuing to pay for it is the final arbiter or "vote for success" of the product.
>
> However, as per that ABS link above, people are actually starting to 'vote for failure' of wired technologies, by buying less of them. The 'Type of Access' slider shows that between December 2010 and June 2011 the use of wired broadband technologies started to decline as mobile and fixed wireless Internet services became dominant.
That is a completely bogus use of those ABS stats, as it implies that the wired and
wireless services are mutually exclusive, in the same way that the various wired
alternatives (HFC, ADSL) are.
The wireless 'type of access' category is mostly additional to the wired connections,
not replacing them.
The wired broadband connections are not decreasing by number, just by percentage -
more and more individuals are taking on wireless SIMs per device, so a household
typically has one wired connection to serve the household, and several SIMS counted as
'wireless broadband' for each device and person, used while roaming away from the house.

P.