[AusNOG] RFC7278 - "Extending an IPv6 /64 Prefix from a Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Mobile Interface to a LAN Link"

Karl Auer kauer at into6.com.au
Sun Jul 20 21:16:17 EST 2014

On Sun, 2014-07-20 at 20:22 +1000, Joseph Goldman wrote:
> To come back to this topic, in a clear opinion kind of way am I better
> deploying a /56 or /48's per end user?

Since you appear to have a choice, /48s are the way to go. This is
giving your customers the same number of SUBNETS as they would get
ADDRESSES in an IPv4 /16, and each and every one of those subnets has
more addresses than you can possibly imagine.

By giving all your customers the same large allocation, you reduce the
likelihood of anyone coming back for more, reducing your support costs
AND giving your customers the same benefit. Having all downstream
allocations the same size also means simplicity of configuration, of
routing, of filtering, of documentation and so on. With simplicity come
lower cost of administration and better security through reduced chance
of error. You avoid the niggling feeling that you may have been giving
out too-small allocations. Oh - and you have a competitive advantage
over people who are only giving out /56s :-)

Make sure you size your RIR requests accordingly, of course. If
necessary discuss it with your RIR contact to make sure your
expectations are understood.

If there is any likelihood at all that any customers will need MORE than
a /48, go for sparse allocation. This algorithm says "satisfy any
request from the low end of the largest possible allocation remaining;
if there are two remaining spaces the same size, satisfy the request
from the low end of the lower space". Your ability to hand out large
allocations is rapidly diminished, but you maximise your chance of being
able to extend any given allocation. You can run this algorithm in a
subspace of your allocation too of course.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer                                          tel  +61-2-64957435
kauer at into6.com.au                                 mob  +61-428-957160

Into6 - IPv6 design, support, training                www.into6.com.au

GPG fingerprint: C66C AF82 E0A2 155A 5444 7897 C370 D706 3EC0 C413
Old fingerprint: D8A4 A65A EE32 286F 1E36 55A4 0901 EEAF A785 1684