[AusNOG] "The NBN" will run on copper for *ever*

Guy Ellis guy at traverse.com.au
Fri Jul 11 17:10:53 EST 2014

Hi Reuben,

There are two reasons why there has been little VDSL2 deployment locally...

(i) Optimum loop length is ~<800m and the old exchanges are just too far
apart.
You must have nodes in order get most subscibers <800m.

(ii) In the case of iiNet, Optus and TPG their DSLAM rollouts were
completed last decade and are only ADSL2+.
Given that we have known that some from of NBN has been coming for
years, and the CAN uncertainty, no operator in their right mind is going
to spend $$$$ on VDSL2 linecard upgrades, let alone think about
deploying nodes.

There are no technology problems with VDSL2, other than the rules of
physics and Shannons law!
FTTN has been already deployed in many countries using VDSL2.
Hopefully Australia will see some benefits as a late-comer with
enhancements such Vectoring and Bonding.
FTTH would be nice but it's not going to happen with this Government.

Regards,
  - Guy.