[AusNOG] WIFI/Internet on Planes

Michael Kratz MKratz at internode.com.au
Tue Jul 8 14:29:52 EST 2014

Looks like it's already happening (or getting close):

http://www.ausbt.com.au/telstra-tests-4g-inflight-internet-for-sydney-melbourne-route

From: John Edwards <jaedwards at gmail.com<mailto:jaedwards at gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, 8 July 2014 12:03 PM
To: "curtis at bayne.com.au<mailto:curtis at bayne.com.au>" <curtis at bayne.com.au<mailto:curtis at bayne.com.au>>
Cc: "ausnog at ausnog.net<mailto:ausnog at ausnog.net>" <ausnog at ausnog.net<mailto:ausnog at ausnog.net>>
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] WIFI/Internet on Planes

Let's consider:

- Devices must be switched off during takeoff and landing.
- Once an aircraft reaches cruising altitude and you can turn on your device, it's already in a "regional" area
- ACMA "regional" boundaries allow for cheap spectrum licences in bands not useful for regular handheld mobile (>3.5Ghz)
- Boeing and Cisco have certified WiFi solutions for inside the plane
- 40Mhz of spectrum in clear air on LTE advanced will give you gigabit speeds, 100km cell radius, compatibility with existing networks and handover that is ok with 600km/h
- If you're pointing an antenna "straight up" then it doesn't need a tower, just some way to keep cows and sheep off it
- NBN is bringing backhaul and connectivity to all regional areas (ok, maybe this part is stretching belief)
- There are enough flights between Melbourne and Sydney each day to pay for a national network (minus Perth), based on just a 10% takeup.

VC's feel free to contact me off list ;)

John