[AusNOG] another ipv6 Q

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Jul 3 12:34:15 EST 2014

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 12:26:34PM +1000, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> I’m not so sure - I had a /22 allocated yesterday, and the v6 was
> allocated as a /48?  Though I really have no need for anything larger, so
> I have no inclination to go ask about a /32 :-p

If you got an allocation, then you should have gotten a /32 (as per
http://www.apnic.net/services/apply-for-resources/kickstart-your-ipv6, "How
much space will you receive?").  If you got an assignment, then the /48 you
got was correct.

Short explanation of assignment vs allocation: "assignments" are for you to
use, "allocations" are for you to use *and* for you to hand out in smaller
chunks to others.

- Matt