[AusNOG] Microsoft is playing with a certain dynamic DNS service...

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Wed Jul 2 10:28:07 EST 2014

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2014/06/30/microsoft-takes-on-global-cybercrime-epidemic-in-tenth-malware-disruption.aspx
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/07/01/0025220/microsoft-takes-down-no-ipcom-domains

From: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Giles Pollock
Sent: Wednesday, 2 July 2014 10:12 AM
To: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: [AusNOG] Microsoft is playing with a certain dynamic DNS service...

More a headsup than anything, but it seems Microsoft has gone an seized a whole pile of domains from No-IP, and many are no longer resolving.
It has affected dns resolution on some of my much older sites, nothing critical, other than some broken links out there which still point to the old names.

No-IP's blog post on the matter:
http://www.noip.com/blog/

Seems a little heavy handed by Microsoft really... I can't help but imagine Homer Simpson's Compu-Global-Hyper-Mega-Net being "bought out" by Bill Gates...

Giles