[AusNOG] Fwd: [nznog] heads up.. gmail now checking ipv6 rdns

Ted Cooper ausnog0809d at linuxwan.net
Mon Jan 27 11:55:21 EST 2014

On 26/01/14 16:58, Seamus Ryan wrote:
> I thought they started doing this about six months ago? At least that's
> what i found... Good on em i say. Its an uphill battle trying to get
> people to set their environment up to even a low standard. If a giant
> like google forces everyone to do things properly, it could certainly
> help in reducing the spams on the internets slightly. Dare they do it
> for ipv4??

Yes, they have been doing this for quite a number of months. I ran into
initially in August 2013.

There have been issues with it though as periodically google will fail
to lookup the PTR record at all, cache that failure, and hard reject all
emails from the server for a number of hours. There doesn't seem to be a
sending server side fix for this.

The last occurrence was in the last 2 weeks, and then again in November
2013.