[AusNOG] IPSEC time skew renegotiate?

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Mon Jan 6 15:13:58 EST 2014

Very unlikely to be directly a time/NTP issue if it's that small a
difference.

Encryption and authentication with basic IPSec PSK type configurations
isn't dependent on time synchronisation with peers.

Expiry of negotiated phase 1/2 parameters might happen if there was a
larger skew, e.g. minutes/hours.

I'd lean towards a phase 2 renegotiation failure. Or software bug triggered
by time skew and adjustment.

What are the phase 1 and 2 parameters for each side of the tunnel ? e.g.
lifetime in seconds and/or bytes ?