[AusNOG] Speaking of DNS...

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Feb 14 13:03:31 EST 2014

On 14/02/2014 10:52, Mark Foster wrote:

> On 14/02/2014 11:20 a.m., Simon Lyall wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014, Noel Butler wrote: What? Are you suggesting a companies support team, support someone else's customer? (you don't work for micro$oft do you hah) I think the case of 'your not a user, sorry cant help' is fair ... of course it could be simplified - ISP: username please YOU: im not your customer but I expect your help ISP: sure mate, no problems, whats your CC details YOU: xxxxxx ISP: please hold .. ISP: No problems mate, we charged you $35 bux so you have my undivided attention for next 15 mins :)

I'm trying to decide if you're taking the piss or not.
If a third party calls you up to point out an error in your environment,

are you going to tell them to go away because they don't directly pay
you for service?
If your answer to that is yes, then clearly you don't mind giving your
paying customers a ... poor... service, oblivious to the fact that
you're broken?

No, I was rather serious, why? because -

1/ public facing phone numbers of most ISP's are for existing or
potential customers, so ringing ISP-A customer support to report a
perceived problem on ISP-A's network will likely go right over the head
of the call taker

2/ existing customers, or external persons, with most problems think it
is the ISP's fault, not their own, in all but a few rare events it is
the customers own fault, or unrelated to ISP-A's network.

3/ I dont know of any ISP (except small owner/oper vISP's maybe) that
will permit front line call takers to transfer a call to NOC, in fact it
is likely specifically forbidden to do so, also it is likely taboo in
most places to give out the NOC email address (even though in most cases
the whois is the right address, or at least will get there) for much
same reasons as above, else you;d soon see custoemr support with 5 calls
a day and NOC with 15K a day.

4/ As above, network staff from ISP-B who have a clue on how to contact
ISP-A, there is not only whois, but other methods known to most here,
which I wont link to because although its publicly accessible, it has
direct numbers and addresses :)