[AusNOG] What's in your bag

Chris Bennett chris at ceegeebee.com
Wed Dec 31 11:25:37 EST 2014

> but I also add a Mikrotik mAP [0] (tiny 2 port router with 2.4GHz
> WiFi, which is powered from a USB port - meaning that my phone
> charger, or even my laptop is able to power it).

Ah cool I hadn't seen this particular model.  I've used the TP-LINK
TL-MR3020 for a few years.  Flash it with OpenWrt for maximum
flexibility.  Really handy for powering via USB from anything in the
DC then being able to move around with laptop.

I also carry a TP-Link TL-WN722N USB Wifi adaptor with detachable
antenna, and also a 9dBi whip antenna.  Plug it into the MR3020,
connect to hotel wifi, source-NAT egress, and then use the built-in
MR3020 radio for all of your devices.  Only the first device has to
deal with the captive portal :)

I also recommend the Macbook Air for battery runtime - reliably 10-13
hours - I use Linux in Fusion almost fulltime and still get that kind
of runtime.

Regards,

Chris