[AusNOG] List Purpose - Was: Re: VyOS Bug - Removing prefix-list rule

James Hodgkinson yaleman at ricetek.net
Mon Dec 8 14:45:33 EST 2014

I’d agree with this interpretation.

Also, why do some seem to want to scream at each other in public instead of just keeping it private? Do we really have to read about it on the list?

James

On 2014-12-08 14:04, Daniel wrote:

> In saying that, I've got a question to ask, Is this list not about
> network
> operators, and helping other fellow network operators on list? Or is
> it
> just a bitch mailing list? Because I'm slightly confused,

Here is the charter for the list:

http://www.ausnog.net/mailing_list/charter

The first paragraph outlines the scope of the list:

"The AusNOG mailing list has been established to provide a forum for
the exchange of technical information, the discussion of specific
implementation issues that require cooperation among internet
infrastructure related service providers (eg ISP/ASP/DC etc), the
discussion of technically focused operational issues, and the discussion
of technical issues relating to provision of internet services and the
various infrastructure related services in the telecommunications
industry."

IMO there's a balance that needs to be struck between an individual
operator requiring assistance for their own network implementation, and
an individual operator contributing to the group discussion.

Eg, a "Please help me with my specific BGP community implementation" is
on the former side, while a "What's best practice for BGP communities in
Australia" generates discussion on the latter side.

Everyone is going to have their own thresholds on what ratio of each is
appropriate.

Personally, I think that if more than half of an operator's inquiries
are about their own implementation, rather than of a discussion of
general benefit / interest to the community as a whole, then that
operator is taking from the community, rather than giving to it.

Obviously opinions on this will vary.

prk.