[AusNOG] Netflix, AWS and Softlayer vs. Australia

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 17:42:25 EST 2014

Interestingly according to this doco (table 28):
http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/sfaa-wba2-product-catalogue-nebs-product-tech-spec_20140523.pdf

Even on a 1000/400 tail the most TC-2 (ie. guaranteed/non-contended) bandwidth you can order is 40Mbps (plus another 5mbps of TC-1 if you wanted) . The rest is TC-4 and potentially contended on the NBN side of things before it gets anywhere near a POI or RSP.
As to the reason nobody is offering 1000/400 plans now:
a. Has NBN upgraded their gear to support it ?  (I would hope they are too busy trying to roll out the fibre first, before worrying about upgrading it)b. I'm not sure if they are 'business only' plans initially for faster than 100mbpsc. Would require a large commitment from an RSP in terms of CVC capacity at any POI with a 1000/400 connection
The last one will be less of an issue over time as there are more services rolled out and the bandwidth required at POI's is larger, but it's a fairly big ask initially without the traffic to support that kind of CVC.

regards,Tony.