[AusNOG] Netflix, AWS and Softlayer vs. Australia

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Dec 5 11:54:02 EST 2014

However, this would require NBNCo to have a full billing system and traffic measuring
system for each customer tail to record and bill by usage. For every NBN tail in the
country.
It also requires NBNCo to have the ability to implement its own unilateral throttling
system when a customer tail goes over its data quota, independent of any recourse to
the RSP servicing that customer.

Think of the load and cost increase on RSP call-centres when NBNCo throttles links and
RSP doesn't know about it yet.

Thats a big data usage collection and recording system, and variable billing system to
send per-end-user traffic measurements every day/week/month to the ISPs for the ISPs
to include in their billing/traffic plan systems (and notification systems for 'you
have approached 50% of your quota' per TCP Code). Big investment by each and every RSP
to incorporate this data into their own traffic and billing management systems.

Currently, NBNCo doesn't need anything like this, to do unchanging price-per-month
invoicing to the ISPs based on what was ordered at start-of-contract, not what was
used - and the RSPs billing and IT processing systems also stay much simpler.

I'd love to see the analysis redone for the increased billing, traffic measurement and
customer-service costs in both wholesalers and retailers before anyone tries to
implement wholesaler-measuring of traffic data usage volumes.