[AusNOG] NBN again

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Thu Dec 4 14:58:32 EST 2014

Technically the NBN's FTTP is using GPON (a single fibre split up to say
32 times).
Which is also a shared medium. A 2.4 gbits fibre divided by 32 does not
equal 100mbit each.

Then the backhaul from the POI is equally a shared medium (and people
already see backhaul congestion).

If you don't want shared mediums, go for dedicated business links.
Otherwise *everything* is a shared medium regardless of technology.

On 04/12/14 14:53, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker wrote:

> http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/government-it/we-want-to-accelerate-nbn-rollout-bill-morrow-20141204-1202ak.html
>
> I thought most (a lot) US cable companies were moving towards fibre,
> upgrading from cable to fibre.
>
> Plus isn’t Cable a shared medium so a segment (not sure how big a
> segment is) can be congested by a small group of people ?
>
> Alex

Nick Stallman
Agentpoint Pty Ltd
The Real Estate Web Developers
Melbourne | Sydney | Miami
nick at agentpoint.com
www.agentpoint.com.au | www.zooproperty.com | www.ginga.com.au |
www.business2.com.au

Business2.com.au is a real estate agent information website that helps
you understand Portals, Technology and comes with FREE tools to help
your Agency become an online success!