[AusNOG] Wireless Access Point recommendations

Matt Carter mattc at mansol.net.au
Fri Aug 8 11:34:56 EST 2014

Not to mention the ease of management.
Long gone are the days of having a controller for each site, provided the controller is Layer3 reachable, you are good to go.
Also bear in mind the controller does not have to be present for the system to work (unless you are using captive portal features) only when you want to provision/reprovision an access point.
Thus, if we are talking about a single site setup or a home/domestic/hobby (ie, non service provider) deployment where the economies of scale by having a cloud controller are not relevant you could simply fire up the controller on your laptop or whatever.
If it's there so be it, if it isn't, it makes no difference, just means you can't add new AP's or reconfig existing ones.