[AusNOG] Deciding on Juniper vs. Brocade

Kurt Bales kwbales at kwbales.net
Tue Aug 5 16:58:37 EST 2014

Yes, I work on the team responsible for the switching products, but this
statement above was purely based on the public facts.

As the EX4300 is based on a chip from the Broadcom family, it plays with
our EX4600 and QFX5100 strategies.
 - EX4300 can Virtual Chassis Fabric with a QFX5100 in the Data Centre
 - EX4300 will Virtual Chassis with an EX4600 (Post-FRS) in the Campus

The EX4300 is part of our longer term vision for switching in both Data
Center and Campus scenarios

</sales_pitch reason="I dont get commission">

Regards,

Kurt Bales

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Skeeve Stevens <
skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> And for those who don't know... Kurt now works at is now a Senior Data
> Centre Engineer at Juniper in Sunnyvale.... so I would suggest he knows
> what is happening :)
>

> ...Skeeve
>
> *Skeeve Stevens - *eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
> skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com ; www.eintellegonetworks.com
>
> Phone: 1300 239 038; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve
>
> facebook.com/eintellegonetworks ;  <http://twitter.com/networkceoau>
> linkedin.com/in/skeeve
>
> twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com
>

> The Experts Who The Experts Call
> Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering
>

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Kurt Bales <kwbales at kwbales.net> wrote:
>
>> I would strongly suggest using EX4300 where you have the choice and the
>> feature set isn't going to be a hard limitation today.
>>
>> You can compare features using the following two links:
>>  - Standalone:
>> www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/ex-series-software-features-overview.html
>>  - Virtual Chassis -
>> www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/ex-series-software-features-overview-vc.html
>>
>> The EX4300 is a better long term investment given the direction the
>> Juniper switching division is heading, even considering the short term
>> increase in buy price compared to EX4200.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kurt Bales
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Christopher Pollock <
>> chris at ionetworks.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Negative, red six.  Check the spec sheets closely, there are some
>>> noteable weaknesses.  Also the 42 can VCP over fibre ports if you have
>>> them.  Pricing is usually better for the 42 as well.
>>>
>>> I say this as someone who sells these things, and wants to sell you as
>>> much as possible.. you're probably better off with the cheaper one.  We
>>> sell a metric eff-tonne of 4200s and very few 43s.  It all depends on use
>>> case and what features you need as IIRC the advanced feature license
>>> enables different things and different features come on standard.

>>> --
>>> --
>>> Christopher Pollock,
>>> io Networks Pty Ltd.