[AusNOG] (Meta-)Data Retention

Terry Sweetser (SkyMesh CTO) terry+AusNOG at skymesh.net.au
Tue Aug 5 11:17:39 EST 2014

Skeeve,

If they "me too" the UK scheme, which is likely: web clicks, all email,
and all phone calls.

> details of every website visited, the transmission of every email sent
> and every phone call made in the UK to be retained and made available
> to authorities on request

And this will include Google, Hotmail and Yahoo doing business in
Australia, and/or with Australians -- being offshore will not help if
the scope is broad like the UK scheme.

Looking at the UK scheme in detail, I see 4 days of full web content is
required, also ISP "login data" (aka Radius POP IMAP,) and subscriber
information for 1 year.

http://about.me/terry.sweetser