[AusNOG] (Meta-)Data Retention

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 11:04:22 EST 2014

This is very much like Conroy's Internet filter - the holes in the plan are
stupendously large.  So large in fact that I was actually on the ABC's 7:30
report demonstrating how simple it was to set up a VPN with an endpoint
outside the filter  to bypass any sort of filtering that was put in place.

When and if this latest brainfart legislation comes in, people will do
exactly the same thing as we thought they'd do when the filter was being
proposed -those who are doing the wrong thing will go deeper underground,
and those who don't do the wrong thing will be inconvenienced.  All it will
do (other than cause a lot of pain and cost a lot of money) is push those
who do wish to do the bad thing into using technologies that make it harder
for the government to monitor their activities.

That our national security "experts" can't see this concerns the shit out
of me - more than the proposed regulations, to be honest.

On 5 August 2014 10:57, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com