[AusNOG] Question about hardware spec for a DC

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Thu Apr 24 12:15:43 EST 2014

I once thought like that too.

But if you're re-organising power and yanking cables out and plugging them
back in on anything other than a lab system you should be working within a
declared maintenance window anyway.

There's too much risk that something will come out that shouldn't, or that
something will shift just enough to cause a problem.

It might be acceptable to do it without a window for a UAT/test/dev system
but anything revenue generating or revenue supporting... hell no.

Having the convenience and ability to re-arrange power cables at any time
of day without risk and loss of $'s stems from designing systems to cope
with failure to start with.

That may in small part be because you put two PSU's in the boxes; but it
won't be the only reason.

-Colin