[AusNOG] Network monitoring software

Rob Byrnes rbyrnes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 20:58:22 EST 2014

We have used NMIS at my current place of employ for many years. About to
build a new monitoring server so I've been following this thread with
interest. For the record, we are again leaning towards NMIS (currently
stuck on NMIS4)

cheers,
Rob

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Keith Sinclair <keith at sinclair.org.au>wrote:

> Radek,
>
> I am a big fan of the OSS NMS solutions in general and many of the
> commercial products.
>
> I am however biased towards NMIS, an OSS project I started in 1999, the
> community version is feature rich, highly scalable and free, and Opmantek
> provide commercial support and add ons.  (disclaimer: I currently work for
> Opmantek.com)
>

> Regards
>

> Keith
>
>  Keith Sinclair
> keith at sinclair.org.au
>
> On 12 Apr 2014, at 11:03 am, Radek Tkaczyk <radek at tkaczyk.id.au> wrote:
>
>  Hi Guys,
>
> I have been asked to review our network monitoring software that we use
> internally to monitor our own infrastructure, but also to monitor the
> various layer 2 and layer 3 customer tails we have around the country.
>
> I’m looking for any recommendations from people who are happy with the
> products that they have inhouse. Looking for a commercial product really
> (as long as it’s not ridiculously expensive).
>
> At my previous employers we have used PRTG and Solarwinds, which were OK,
> but I know Solarwinds was very expensive. One important feature that we
> need is a device dashboard that will show us the status and details of a
> device like IP addresses, IOS and firmware versions, error stats, etc.
>
> Any suggestions from fellow ausnoggers here?
>
> Regards,
>
> Radek
> Ph: 0413 383 231
> radek at tkaczyk.id.au

Idiot :
    A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs
has always been dominant and controlling.
(Ambrose Bierce - The Devils Dictionary)