[AusNOG] Some rough numbers

Jacob Kino jacob at interconnekt.com.au
Thu Apr 10 11:13:53 EST 2014

We had the same requirements and opted for the FortiGate 1000C platform in an HA pair.

http://www.fortinet.com/sites/default/files/productdatasheets/FortiGate-1000C.pdf

2 x 10G, plenty of 1G, 20Gbps firewall.

For us one of the major advantages because we provide hosted firewall was the ability to use Virtual Domains or VDOMs which provide virtualized instances (up to 250, 10 by default).

We licensed all functionality including IPS, AV, application control etc. however you can license them in a more a la carte way if required. I think if you only want basic firewall there are cheaper options.

Support can be 8x5 or 24x7 with various options for advanced hardware replacement. We opted to purchase a 3rd box as a cold spare.

Pricing in my experience is largely dependent on what kind of discount the vendor wants to give. End of Quarter or Financial year is your friend.

Full Disclosure: We are Fortinet Partners.

If you want more info on the pricing side ping me off list.

Cheers,

Jacob

Jacob Kino

Suite 5, 25-27 Izett St