[AusNOG] Discussion point: Why aren't the NBNCo tails symmetric in speed?

Damian Guppy the.damo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 02:02:26 EST 2014

NBN is built on GPON tech, which is normally asymmetrical. I believe it is
ITU-T G.984 which supports 2.488Gbit/s down and 1.244Git/s up.  Most home
users have an asymmetrical data requirement, so it makes sense to divide up
the available spectrum with a bias to downstream. Same reason ADSL is used
and is asymmetrical even through there are SDSL specs out there.

--Damian