[AusNOG] Scaling beyond 1Gbps transit

Tom Lanyon tom+ausnog at oneshoeco.com
Tue Sep 24 17:24:52 EST 2013

On 24/09/2013, at 4:21 PM, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:
> 600Mbps is almost the limit for a 7201 (1Gig TP maximum theoretical).
>
> Go an ASR1002 or Juniper MX5 - both make great cheap bgp border routers.
>
> Yes... 10Gb interfaces is the way to go.... or just multiple 1Gb upstreams?  With that much traffic, you should be diverse anyhow.

10Gbps interfaces are still relatively expensive[1] on the ASR1000 platform, when you consider the pricing of 7200 series[2] gear which it is replacing.  Is the situation better with the MX?

I don't have any experience with them, but would an ASR9001(-S) actually be a better choice for 10Gbps, considering the 4x built in 10Gbps SFP+ ports and cheaper-per-10Gbps modular port adapters?

-Tom

[1] Somewhere around $12k for a single port SPA-1X10GE-L-V2?  and some crazy figure for the WAN PHY version (which I assume just has big buffers?)..

[2] Understanding, of course, that this product line is EOL.