[AusNOG] Screw the NBN, says TPG: We'll do our own FTTB

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 21:27:43 EST 2013

On 17 September 2013 21:11, Paul Wallace <paul.wallace at mtgi.com.au> wrote:

> But Robert, if the point of exercise is to help people in the bush, many
> of which the NBNco wishes to  help via wireless and satellite, then fibre
> or copper has nothing to do with it.

The "many" you refer to is very few.  And what the NBN will offer there is
still a damned site better than the complete mess that's currently
available to them now.

And it has a lot to do with it - operating the fixed wireless and satellite
services will cost a *lot* - and the profits made on the fibre-supplied
premises will pay for that in such a way as those who do unfortunately miss
out on fibre don't have to pay stupidly high fees to get something decent.