[AusNOG] Screw the NBN, says TPG: We'll do our own FTTB

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 20:49:58 EST 2013

To be clear - I don't disagree that the execution has been terrible. It has
been.

But that isn't to say that FTTP as a notion is broken. It is not.

And it can't be said that FTTN is the automatic solution to the poor
execution of the FTTP. There is nothing to stop a FTTN implementation being
just as messed up,  and in fact it is potentially easier to mess up with
the range of options that it presents (some FTTP, some VDSL, some wireless,
some good copper, some bad copper, etc).

Whatis a fact is that our copper network, and the "last-mile" in particular
is an absolute mess - ISPs have screamed at Telstra about it for years,
Telstra themselves recently admitted that it is grossly undermaintained.

What I am yet to see is any solid figures on what the annual cost of
maintaining the last mile copper to a reasonable level would actually be.
Nor have I seen any estimate on how much it will take to bring large parts
of the copper network up to standard, and how that compares to just
scrapping it and replacing it with fibre to start with.

And I am yet to see any details on the the "mid-term" option to run with
FTTN now and "upgrade" to FTTP later (I use inverted commas because as far
as I have seen, it is a forklift job, not an upgrade in the traditional
sense).

What we have seen are sensible ideas for how the cost and complexity of a
FTTP network build can be reduced, and how this would potentially also
speed up the roll-out. Given that cost, complexity and speed of roll-out
are the biggest things that people complain about with the ALPs FTTP
rollout, surely those should be the first things considered, before we
throw the baby out with the bathwater?