[AusNOG] ADSL2+ line sync data

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Sun Sep 15 14:34:39 EST 2013

Might be lazy sunday afternoon messing with my comprehension, but in the
former case they'll have ~4.6Mbps spare upload capacity, in the later
24.6Mbps. Neither are full rate, if I read you correctly, though in the
later case it is 98.5% line rate vs 92% which might be a noticable
difference, probably not in terms of time for something to upload (less
than 10% difference), but maybe for capability itself to upload (ie
maintaining full stream video conference or doctors etc).

But really I doubt anyone would notice, especially given speedtest doesn't
use both at the same time. In fact I think more people would complain about
actual performance (ie why don't i get 25Mbps from some remote server, or
hell even youtube/akamai/CDN cache locally), than the few that would fire
up uTorrent, download a linux iso and think "oh hey, 25mbps down, but only
4.6mbps up in the status bar, why isn't that 5mbps!?!". Not to mention
everyone already just says "up to", both for line rate reasons, and for
aforementioned remote site/connectivity bottleneck being causes for not
seeing maximum advertised speeds.

I could be wrong but I think you've shifted a bit away from ietf best
practice reasons to have symmetry, towards the fact people actually need
more upload full stop, symmetry being a happy coincidence. Which I'd agree
with, though not that symmetry is required/very.important for customer
expectation/relations reasons.

Anyway I originally said "not very applicable", and it seems we're all
talking about the fringe cases where it IS infact much more applicable, so
if we stepped back into the realm of averages and normal use cases.. Given
the choice between higher download and symmetry, the very fact that most
connections are used to consume data and not create data should and does
lead towards asymmetry and will remain that way even with datacenters in
basements and 4K cat streaming.

</arguing>