[AusNOG] Copper versus fibre in the DC

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Sun Oct 13 08:45:30 EST 2013

I'm considering specs for a new site at the moment.  Distances are
likely to be < 500 m in all runs. It seems that there are new-ish
standards for both MMF & SMF : OM4 & OS2.  Should I be concerned about
the differences between them and their older counterparts?  Neither OM4
nor OS2 seems to be available from Simpletech, our usual supplier for
fibre components, but their price differences between OM3 vs. OS1 and SX
vs. LX SFPs are trivial.

Considering the short distances and the fact that we're not worried
about having more than 10 GbE per run, is it worth worrying about SMF?
Most of our other intra-site runs are OM1 or OM3.

Thanks,
Paul