[AusNOG] Copper versus fibre in the DC

James Braunegg james.braunegg at micron21.com
Sat Oct 12 19:55:27 EST 2013

MMF SFP’s are cheaper than SMF SFP’s although it also depends on your supplier !!

With Finisar/ ModuleTek the delta difference is only 20% or so in cost for 10gbit SFPs and much less for 1gbit SFPs

SMF fibre vs MMF fibre patch leads are the same price (depending on your supplier)

I find the benefit of keeping everything SMF is it’s the same SFP in most cases which minimizes spares (apart from long range SFP’s)

Kindest Regards

James Braunegg
P:  1300 769 972  |  M:  0488 997 207 |  D:  (03) 9751 7616
E:   james.braunegg at micron21.com<mailto:james.braunegg at micron21.com>  |  ABN:  12 109 977 666
W:  www.ddosprotection.com.au<http://www.ddosprotection.com.au>  T: @micron21

This message is intended for the addressee named above. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose it to anyone other than the addressee. If you have received this message in error please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer.