[AusNOG] "It's like grandfather's axe"

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu Nov 21 07:50:20 EST 2013

On 20/11/2013 7:58 PM, Tony wrote:
> No, I haven't reported it to the carrier for a while. I think I did at
> one point in the past and the result was it went to the testing team
> queue, sat there for 2 days until someone got around to looking at it
> at which point the service had righted itself and job was closed with
> "no fault found".
Now here's the interesting question..  Did the service actually 'right
itself', OR did the line testing resolve the problem?  A house we lived
in a few years ago, our ADSL sync would drop from 9mbps to 4-5mbps like
clockwork, if we had more than three hours of continuous rain.  A call
to telstra saying there was crackling on the line, and 5 minutes on hold
while they ran a line test, and voila, the crackle was gone and a
retrain on the modem and it'd be back up to 9mbps.

--
Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG/VK2DGJ. Dip EE. GradIEAust