[AusNOG] Consensus from the IETF 88 Technical Plenary - Internet hardening

Geordie Guy elomis at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 12:30:13 EST 2013

1) It's not an ad hominem. I wasn't attacking his person, I was revealing
that I was having trouble understanding why he would hold the position he
was advocating until I did some brief research that suggested that he is
professionally directly involved in a business model which would likely
need to be completely rethunk with what the IETF are proposing.  Network
security vendors are weird in that they often play both sides of the
argument, helping enterprises secure their information from prying eyes,
and also prying into information under the auspices of some wider security
and safety issue. Maybe it's a symptom of their spy and resisted being
spied-upon government variants, but none of it is news.  As Mark pointed
out, "as if millions of DPI vendors voices..." etc etc.

2) Geordie Carmichael Guy, son of Dianne Allana and Wayne Jeffrey Guy.
 Pleased to meet you. If I may be so bold as to suggest you spend more time
focussing on the merit of arguments and less time wielding shock jock
mythology like "anonymous people on the Internet are cowardly and abusive
and their arguments poorly supported" I reckon we could usefully examine
this critical decision point at how the world's and Australia's networks
should be evolved and operated in the light of this clear threat to
information confidentiality and security.

3) I'll have you know I am very classy  I dress very conservatively yet
fashionably in high quality apparel, am very well groomed and well spoken
and friends tell me I am quite affable.  I live in a very nice suburb,
drive a late model car and have a pleasant, infectious chuckle and a
confident walk that shows a real sense of purpose without being menacing.

Encrypt all the things.  Encrypt them all.  As Mark mentioned, a key tenant
of security is confidentiality. I don't even agree we shouldn't bother to
encrypt the cat pictures. Encrypt those to. What business is it of the
NSA's if I'm looking at cat pictures? Does legality and harmlessness in use
cases actually obviate the need for us to build and operate secure
networks? I don't think it does, otherwise the old "nothing to fear nothing
to hide" nonsense starts to take on a colour of truth.

Geordie (seriously, Geordie)