[AusNOG] Consensus from the IETF 88 Technical Plenary - Internet hardening

George Fong george at lateralplains.com
Fri Nov 8 16:54:02 EST 2013

I agree with Paul. Roland I think you have missed the point of where
IETF is going with this, but more importantly I think as always, we need
not underestimate the determination of civil society, especially when
there is an amassing of technical expertise within it.  This is the
first time we have been here on the Internet. And this is why the
multistakeholder model has our preference. We vote governments in and
out. There's a maturity of understanding within the greater populations
of the planet about the Internet and what it means to civil society.
That gives us a much stronger platform to work off.

I've strayed from the tenor of this list a bit, but pulling it back,
IETF has drawn a line in the sand and is reflecting a will to accept the
environment around it. The consensus statement has not and could not
spell out the extent of what can be achieved technically. What it has
done is set a clear technical aspiration and that's the debate we need
to have here. We'll let the civil society debate in other forums decide
the extent to which the technical processes that are developed from here
on can be applied.

Cheers
g.