[AusNOG] Mikrotik Routerboard access

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Wed Nov 6 22:11:34 EST 2013

Hi Tim,

  #1 sounds like an interesting idea....

  #2, OpenWRT/busybox from my understanding has only been ported to
certain MIPS-BE based RB's not PPC. I researched it quite heavily
earlier today :(

  #3, passwords are accross the board on all management interfaces from
my understanding of ROS, i've tried admin / blank on ssh, winbox and
telnet. Haven't attempted rs232 yet, not a bad idea to do so if maybe
the session was left logged in or something, time to contact guys on the
ground!

Thanks,
Joe

On 06/11/13 22:08, Tim March wrote:
> In no particular order;
>
> 1. If you've got SNMP write you might be able to do something funky like
> get it to upload it's configuration to tftp;
> http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:SNMP#SNMP_write
>
> 2. These punters seem to indicate you can reset the password without
> frying the configuration; http://manio.skyboo.net/mikrotik/
>
> 3. The default u/p for those things is admin/$BLANK (it's not as far
> fetched as it sounds =) ) ... Try it independently on each of the
> interfaces (ssh/telnet/rs232)
>

> T.
>
> On 6/11/13 9:58 PM, Joseph Goldman wrote:
>> To clarify - I have winbox + ssh + telnet capabilities to the device,
>> even physical access, but it is passsworded and that is what I am trying
>> to circumvent. I wouldn't care about rebuilding the device, however I
>> don't have a config export or a .backup thats not on the device.
>> My hopes aren't high and so far I'm trying to rebuild a semi-done config
>> from scanning the SNMP interface, IP, ARP and route table MIBs.
>> Unfortunately this will only give me half the picture.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joe
>>
>> On 06/11/13 21:53, Joseph Goldman wrote:
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>>   Recently inherited a Routerboard in production that I need access to.
>>> Unfortunately there was no documentation left and the previous sole
>>> network admin is not contactable. The routerboard is RB1100 (PPC
>>> based) and I have not been able to find any way to get access to even
>>> the file system.
>>>
>>>   One thing I am almost positive of - there is a .backup on the device,
>>> but I can't access it's storage.
>>>
>>>   I am trying to find a way to either access the device through normal
>>> management means or pull a config or backup from it so I can at least
>>> half attempt to rebuild it.
>>>
>>>   Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joe