[AusNOG] Open Resolver Problems

Tom Paseka tom at cloudflare.com
Tue Mar 26 10:49:37 EST 2013

Hello AusNOG list.

This was posted to NANOG this morning. (sorry for the cross posting)

Please take a look at open recursors in your networks and clean them up.
Also, implement BCP-38 in your networks if not already.

I presented this at APRICOT in Singapore also last month:
http://www.apricot2013.net/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/58878/tom-paseka_1361839564.pdf

 The open recursors have been used in pushing very large attacks.
Large enough to take sizable parts of the Internet offline.

Cheers,
Tom.