[AusNOG] IPv6: Who's dual stacked? Why don't I look stacked?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Mar 8 11:44:13 EST 2013

In message <214A7506-A76B-4C69-8ADD-B563217C995F at apnic.net>, Geoff Huston writes:
> On 08/03/2013, at 10:10 AM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> >

> >> For that matter, really of what apps do and do not
> >> support IPv6 transit and which do not, and even if an app (a mail
> client
> >> for example) supports IPv6, whether the server (Internode's mail
> server for
> >> example) supports IPv6. And finally, if everything supports IPv6, what
> >> priority is given to IPv6 over IPv4 (or vice versa).
> >
> > IPv6 is given priority over IPv4 for most things.
>

> Thats not always the case any more.

Hence "for most things".

> Various implementations of "happy eyeballs" out there today use
> algorithms that have different embedded heuristics as to which protocol
> to select when given a choice.

And they still do a bad job compared to the simple if you don't get
a connect in 200ms start a parallel connection.  Safari sucks badly
on Mountain Lion when there a little delay with DNS responses like
there is when you are talking to the ORG servers to get DNSKEY
behind a tunneled connection over IPv6.  Some of them force the
client to TCP then you have to hope the PMTUD kicks in.  Just set
USE_MIN_MTU on the socket and let the UDP packets be fragmnented
rather then force TCP and if you are going to force TCP set USE_MIN_MTU
on the TCP socket as well so that PMTD can be avoided or set the
interface MTU to 1280.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org