[AusNOG] IPv6: Where's my tunnel?

Matt Richards matt at shakesbeare.com
Fri Mar 8 08:53:22 EST 2013

On 7/03/2013 10:45 p.m., Mark Newton wrote:

> I don't get it.
>
> Why are you people continuing to reward providers of IPv4-only transit
> by giving them money?
>
> Tunnels were a 2008 thing.  Unless you're talking about consumer
> broadband (which remains restrictive), there have been so many options
> for dual-stack transit for so long that there's very little excuse to
> not have at least ONE upstream link running it.
>
> Probably at least one of your upstreams actually /does/ support it,
> but you haven't asked them to turn it on.
>
> Aren't you building IPv6 into your purchasing decisions anyway?
>
>    - mark

Sadly, transit choice isn't up to me, otherwise we'd be using v6-capable
transit providers. When we went shopping for transit, Internode was 5
times the price of the company we went with. And no, I've asked our
upstreams. They don't have it.

I've made sure our network hardware can do v6. I'm just waiting on our
upstreams. However, we do need more bandwidth, so I'm trying to talk my
bosses into a new provider (who just happens to be able to do v6...)

Matt.