[AusNOG] IPv6 - What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Wed Mar 6 11:11:23 EST 2013

Respectfully, Robert - you have not addressed Don's question.  You've
made an excellent case for what /not/ to do (and i wholeheartedly
agree), but nothing on the side of the case for what to /do/.

I'd really be interested in hearing the group's take on the actual
benefits of IPv6 /now/.  The only one i can think of is:

  * reduced network complexity and support costs due to the elimination
    of NAT

I expect that this benefit would be eliminated many times over by the
cost of:

  * implementing IPv6 operationally on the network
  * retraining staff (I can't even get the help desk folks to stop using
    IPv4 addresses when DNS is already set up and working!)
  * re-implementing firewalls to eliminate NAT
  * (for small multi-homed organisations):
      o applying for provider-independent address space
      o implementing BGP (including acquiring the hardware and
        skills/partners to roll it out)

All the other benefits of IPv6 that i can think of are future:

  * ability to grow the network beyond the present limits imposed by
    IPv4 addressing
  * not being subject to the increased cost of acquiring more than a /22
    of IPv4 address space
  * competitive advantage over competitors who have neglected to plan
    for the future
  * not being subject to the exhaustion of IPv4
  * not being cut off from customers who have already fallen victim to
    the exhaustion and are IPv6 only

It would be a foolish manager who ignored that big list of future
benefits (especially the last two), but i can very much understand him
or her continuing to defer it until next year's budget, or at least
pushing the project down the priority queue until bitten.

IPv6 is a technical /must //do/,//and i continue to be wracked with
professional guilt that i didn't start sooner, invest more learning
time, and build up more practical experience with it, but i haven't
managed to find a silver bullet for convincing management.  Some of the
best Internet minds in the Asia-Pacific region are on this list.  If
they can't come up with some good sells for the benefits of IPv6 now,
what hope does the average IP professional have?

Regards,
Paul