[AusNOG] IPv4

Rod Veith rod at rb.net.au
Tue Mar 5 11:26:39 EST 2013

“Lets say your plan is successful, and recovers say 2 years worth of IPv4 addresses. What is to prevent those who've done nothing about IPv6 to now use that as an excuse to do nothing about IPv6 for another 2 years, and then make the same, but more desperate complaints we've seen here in another 2 years?”

The one benefit I see is that everyone is then in the same boat at the same time. ATM we have large organisations sitting in resources with no incentive to help make the changes now. It is these large organisations that can push through the tech hurdles that smaller companies cannot.

I hear people talk about how IPv6 doesn’t always work for one reason or another. I suspect that it involves changes to equipment, applications etc and smaller companies cannot fix these things. Manufacturers and software developers will only get serious when the large companies start applying pressure. It seems to me that enough pressure is not being applied to make the move to IPv6 ‘easy’.

So smaller businesses suffer in the meantime and big business is OK for the short term, all because some people couldn’t manage allocations. Of course smaller business has the right to complain.

+1 for Bevan’s proposed solution.

Hope the new APNIC allocations policy and license conditions are water tight this time around.