[AusNOG] IPv4

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at nextdc.com
Mon Mar 4 09:39:28 EST 2013

Sorry Mark.  You said IPv4 has been "effectively" gone for more than a
decade. That statement is incorrect.

You may have known there was going to be a crunch in 10 years time,
particularly when the RIR's unfairly advantage existing members and sat on
their hands, sure.

But the fact is that over half the address space that wasn't "gifted" in
the early stages remained unallocated in 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ipv4-exhaust.svg

[b]

On 4/03/13 7:55 AM, "Mark Andrews" <marka at isc.org> wrote:

>In message <CD59FA6C.4301D%bevan at slattery.net.au>, Bevan Slattery writes:
>>

>> On 3/03/13 11:51 PM, "Mark Andrews" <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>>

>> >In message <2202304f330f8b23da59c2edd117b412 at mail.gmail.com>, Jared
>>Hirst
>> >write
>> >s:
>>should
>>instead
>> >
>> >IPv4 has been effectively gone for more than a decade.
>>
>> That's simply incorrect.
>
>A decade ago we knew we would run out of IPv4 about now.  As a long
>term strategy it was dead.  There was a couple of years in the error
>bars but it was clear that we would run out.  You could ignore IPv6
>or you could ensure that you were ready for the eventual run out
>of IPv4 by getting IPv6 connectivity and working through the issues.
>
>5 years ago the estimates for IPv4 run out had error bars of a
>couple of months.
>
>Mark
>--
>Mark Andrews, ISC
>1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
>PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org

The information contained in this email and any attachments may be confidential. This email and any attachments are also subject to copyright. No part of them may be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written permission of the copyright owner. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this information is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return email and delete the message from your system. All email communications to and from NEXTDC Limited are recorded for the purposes of archival and storage.