[AusNOG] IPv4

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Sun Mar 3 18:14:12 EST 2013

I just sent a message privately to James about this very topic, but now
that it has been brought up, perhaps it's worth sharing with the list:

Something that don't understand is: why isn't there a larger price
difference (from APNIC's perspective) between IPv4 and IPv6, and why
isn't there a larger price difference between developing and developed
economies?

I would have thought that if IPv6 adoption is an economic problem, part
of the answer would be to dramatically lower cost barriers to entry for
IPv6.  I run a single-person small business, and i would love to be IPv6
enabled, but because i'm multi-homed through two consumer-grade ISPs, i
can't do IPv6 without getting my own allocation.  The minimum price to
spend with APNIC is $1,180 per year to get this (disregarding membership
fees for the time being), and that gets me anything up to a /34.  Cost
from there climbs rather rapidly, with /33 = $1,534 and /32 = $1,994.
But even the minimum is more than i pay for my entire year's Internet
access from my primary ISP.

If the minimum of $1,180 were eliminated and one followed the IPv6
pricing down the chain to /48, the costs would represent pretty minimal
barriers to entry for smaller organisations:

*Prefix* 	*/56 blocks* 	*Cost*
32 	16777216 	$1,994.20
33 	8388608 	$1,534.00
34 	4194304 	$1,180.00
35 	2097152 	$907.69
36 	1048576 	$698.22
37 	524288 	$537.10
38 	262144 	$413.15
39 	131072 	$317.81
40 	65536 	$244.47
41 	32768 	$188.05
42 	16384 	$144.66
43 	8192 	$111.27
44 	4096 	$85.60
45 	2048 	$65.84
46 	1024 	$50.65
47 	512 	$38.96
48 	256 	$29.97

The other thing i think would help in relation to this would be
eliminating (or dramatically reducing) the associate membership fee for
IPv6-only allocations.  This would put usable IPv6 allocations within
the reach of any organisation in any of the economies that APNIC serves.

I don't know where the appropriate place to raise this issue is, but i
would really like to see it considered.

Regards,
Paul