[AusNOG] CSG Waiver

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Mon Jun 24 15:18:57 EST 2013

On 24/06/2013, at 3:14 PM, "Samantha Scafe" <samantha at smellyblackdog.com.au> wrote:

> Guys
>
> Is it legal to offer an inducement by way of a cheaper connection fee to get the customer to waive their rights to csg compensation.
>
> If not
>
> Who is responsible
>
> The ISP or there wholesaler or who the wholesaler buys from?

Yes, waiving the CSG is entirely legal, provided done properly. The TIO issued an updated policy note late last year about making sure your CSG agreements are current: http://www.tio.com.au/members/member-news/is-your-csg-waiver-current-does-it-comply-with-the-csg-standard

The CSP is always responsible for the fulfilment of the obligations under the CSG, and as a result they should make sure they have the appropriate agreements/etc in place with their wholesaler.

Of course, in practice I think this is ridiculous because it's (at the smaller end of town) actually Telstra most of the time that makes life in the CSG world hard to bear.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Andrew Yager, Managing Director   (MACS Snr CP BCompSc MCP MCE JNCIA-Junos)
Real World Technology Solutions Pty Ltd  - IT people you can trust