[AusNOG] "Best practice" - guidelines, standards etc?

Alan Maher alanmaher at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 17:44:44 EST 2013

I can sympathise with this scenario, having seen it only too often over
the years.
 From the early morning call to establish why the network is down, and
then to
wander around trying to establish which of the overnight cleaners
"accidentally"
knocked out a co-ax terminator from the wall outlet in a token ring set up.
To the MD who thought that co-ax outlet might be an aerial input for his new
4.5" portable tv so he could watch the cricket.
To the many companies whose server set up just "growed like topsy" and
live and dead
equipment lived alongside the biggest pile of spaghetti in the world.
Where modems and patch connections were all laying around the floor in a
spare
office recently vacated by the photo copier.
Where offices were connected by Cat 5 punched through a hole in the
suspended ceiling
and dragged around in all directions (including through the A/C ducting)
by the tame
sparky.
Being called in by the BIG suppliers, as the client refused to pay their
outrageous, inflated fees
to tidy the mess up, and they in turn refused to guarantee their big
iron unless the mess was sorted.
And of course, there was a Mexican standoff re payment for said Big Iron.
To the A/C guys who discovered the problem was all the "crazy" blues
wires that were covering the
the inlet on their A/C unit- and simply cut them all off.
To the large corporation with a head office/warehouse scenario who
seemed to have around 200
outlets, but at a rough count , some 500 cables coming into a big mess
on the floor.
Apparently, when the tame sparky ran a new cable, and it didn't work,
they just called him back to
run another one.
A quick visit showed said tame sparky had cable tied all his data cables
to warehouse to the 3inch
thick, 3 phase, mains cable to the warehouse.
Yes, it all worked well (sometimes), until such time as the warehouse
plugged in all their electric fork hoists to
be re-charged.
And my favourite is still- "Can't you just put in one of those raised
floors like the big guys have
and cover it all up?"

Yes, I am showing my age, but most of it is common sense.
Sorting out the mess afterwards can take a bit of time, but it is mostly
a question of following
a plan (any plan will do, so long as it can be documented and explained).
Colour coding cables helps, and nothing beats a label printer to attach
labels to the cables
so that everything is simple- input-output etc.
The key word is "Structured cabling"- google it, and you will find
untold resources and opinions.
The rest is just plain hard work and untangling spaghetti.
Having a sense of humour, and an account at the scrap metal place for
beer money obtained
from all the surplus copper helps.

Have fun.

Alan Maher