[AusNOG] Power audit

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Jun 5 15:41:32 EST 2013

On Jun 5, 2013, at 3:24 PM, Alastair Waddell <awaddell at legion.com.au> wrote:

> The thing about DCs is they are the antithesis of 'agile'. I mean, in your right hand you have Amazon AWS and IaaS where new features come monthly and prices go down to encourage adoption and then in your left hand, you have the DC where you're captive to the interconnects you have in place, if not also to kit and prices just go up while features don't exist.

Traditional datacentre business processes have been designed to interface well with
ITIL, so that the mainframe folks looking after the hosted iron and the facilities folks keeping
it powered and cooled would be speaking the same language.

ITIL is more or less designed to make IT stable, slow, and boring, so that the geeks don't
accidentally surprise the CFO by doing something unexpectedly catastrophic on the
financial systems.

If you're trying to do anything even remotely innovative or adaptable, ITIL processes will
drive you nuts.

Maybe have a word with your datacentre provider to make sure they understand
how and why their lack of responsiveness is hurting your business while you're on your
way out the door.  Who knows, maybe they'll get the message.

(they actually won't, but it's nice to dream)

  - mark