[AusNOG] International traffic speeds

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Jul 24 08:49:31 EST 2013

On 24/07/2013 1:21 AM, James Braunegg wrote:

> Dear Andrew
>

> I would recommend using iperf server / client setup.
>

> Testing international bandwidth is tricky when using TCP traffic as it doesn't
> really paint a correct picture.....due to TCP Windowing,  what you want to do is a
> UDP test.

No, what you want to do is a multi-thread TCP test, not a UDP test.  5 or 6 parallel
TCP threads, with each thread occupying ~ 30% window depth at steady-state, will make
sure that results aren't corrupted by windowing issues on a single thread, or the
back-off/slow-start sawtooth behaviour when a packet is lost.

Of course that only gives you a result for a short period of time, but it will
certainly identify the bottleneck aggregate rate. For trying to measure throughput in
the multi-hundreds-Mbps range, no single-packet-stream method either TCP or UDP is
going to give a useful result.

P.