[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Troy Cowin troy at perthsystems.com.au
Sat Jul 20 09:55:51 EST 2013

How does Telstra handle this now in Velocity estates - AKA Telstra's version of FTTP, I don't have copper my house only fibre. Was given the option of battery backup, but was quoted approx $150 to add the battery, which at the time of building my new home was too much.

Another point to note is I would assume just like any UPS units these batteries would need to be tested periodically and replaced every X years too?

Having had a "grandma myrtle" living at home by herself with a personal alarm that was tied onto her phone line, I would have some real concerns over using an ATA for that. What happens when the ATA crashes or dies completely? Or the power goes off.