[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Fri Jul 19 15:27:23 EST 2013

> Or she could keep the POTS PSTN line she has now.
>
> We are assuming the POTS lines need to be disconnected but that's a
> commercial consideration, not a technical one.

Unless it has changed, it has been stated and clarified that (x) time (I
think 12 or 18 months) from when the NBN is "available for connection" in
your area, your conventional (delivered over copper) service *WILL BE
TERMINATED*.

Yes, for commercial reasons - but not those of the householder saving a
few dollars. In a recent briefing from NBNco, the TIO council were shown
the rollout stages, including the form-letters that will be delivered to
people and the "increasingly strong wording" of the warnings to people
that if they do not switch over they WILL BE WITHOUT A PHONE.